This carriage for two, called a piano-box buggy, was purchased new by Ernest Reynolds of Londonderry in 1898. It was made in Michigan by the Pontiac Buggy Company (1893—1906). Piano-box buggies were so called because of their resemblance to 19th century square pianos. It was the most popular buggy in America: factory-built, inexpensive, comfortable, lightweight, and easy to control. The spring design on this buggy was used on the first automobiles. In 1985, it was almost acquired by the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, but Ernest’s son Ned wasn’t done using it, and then lived to age 93! It was sold at his estate auction and acquired by the Chase family of Barrington.