Ann Elizabeth Allen (1838—1915) married Charles Woodman, a wealthy widower with two small children, in 1856. The couple then moved to an 1818 Federal style house on Central Avenue. When her husband died in 1885, Annie Woodman was just 47. When she passed away at age 77 in 1915, she left the amount of $100,000 in trust for the establishment of an “institution for the promotion of education in science and art and the increase and dissemination of general and especially historical knowledge.” Along with the acquisition of the 1813 Hale House next door and the 1675 Damm Garrison which was moved on site, the Woodman Institute opened in July 1916.
Location: W1, above the fireplace