This standing cobbler’s bench belonged to John T.G. Tuttle in 1750 and was later purchased for the Damm Garrison. It has 15 shoemaker’s awls and hammers, 7 molds or “lasts” which would be used to form the leather on the shoe, and a smaller, more traditional, “sitting” cobbler’s bench. On its left side is a strong vise called a “lasting jack” which would hold the shoe securely in place. Leather pieces were tacked to the sole then hammered into shape; heels were attached with wooden pegs. Finishing operations included paring, rasping, scraping, smoothing, sand-papering, blacking, and burnishing, withdrawing the lasts, and removing any pegs which may have pierced the inner sole.
Location: G1, kitchen