Daniel H. Wendell (1814-1895) operated a saddlery and harness-making shop on Merchants Row in Dover from ca. 1838—1862 when a fire in his shop destroyed the building. He next operated at the corner of Main and School Streets through 1865, then changed his profession to insurance agent! This horsehair trunk, with hand-forged handles and locks, and sand-cast brass tacks, was made for the Levi Sawyer family by William Brown of the Dover Trunk Store, a complementary business which was located inside Wendell’s shop. During the period, stagecoach travel was very common and trunks like these were the hard-sided luggage of their day! It was donated to the Museum by Grover Tasker.