This large, 8” long iron key opened the doors to The Dover Bank, a savings institution in Central Square at the corner of Central and Washington Streets. The bank was incorporated in 1822 and closed in 1865. The key-carrier was cashier Andrew Peirce who, in 1856, became the first mayor of Dover after the “town” became officially a “city” in 1855. Peirce was also a trustee at the Franklin Academy, a deacon at the First Parish Church, a director of the B&M Railroad, and Strafford County clerk. Even with his busy work life, Peirce managed to have 13 children with wife Abigail!
Location: W1, Foster Gallery