Around 1720, this apple tree, then just a small shrub, was brought over from England in a wash tub by Captain Thomas Millet. It was planted on his farm on the east side of Dover Point Road, quite near the furniture store that’s there now. It grew to 4’ in diameter and annually produced 40-50 bushels of apples for 192 years. In 1912, a brown tail moth infestation killed the tree and its hollowed out shell was finally cut down in 1918. Wood from the Millet Apple Tree was used to make this wooden gavel used at meetings of Dover’s Northam Colonists Historical Society through 1997.