Walking Stick

Walking Stick

Secret storage compartments for pills and potions were discovered inside this walking stick owned by Dr. John G. Pike who practiced medicine in Salmon Falls (Rollinsford) and Dover during the second half of the 19th century. Described as a “large man with a commanding presence”, Pike was born in Somersworth in 1817, graduated from Berwick Academy (1833) and Bowdoin Medical School (1847) and also worked in Boston 1868–1871. He then practiced in Dover until well past his 80th birthday but succumbed to blindness in the last years of his life, dying at age 87 on August 1, 1905. The walking stick was donated by the owners of the former Newman’s Pharmacy.

Go to the next item on the tour

Return to the previous item

Return to 100 Treasures List

Back to Hale House Gallery

Hale House Treasures
All Rights Reserved