This handsome Victorian-era walnut sideboard with brass detailing, beveled mirrors, and turned finials dates from ca. 1875. It was owned by Gov. Charles H. Sawyer of Dover, NH’s 41st governor (1887—1889). Sawyer was born in 1840 and became president of the Sawyer Woolen Mills in 1891 after his father Jonathan’s death. Unrelated to the Sawyers, also on display here is a 7-piece “RS Prussia” chocolate set (pot, creamer, sugar bowl, and 4 cups) decorated with an ivy pattern. It was produced in Germany at Reinhold Schlegelmilch’s china factory between 1869—1917. This family heirloom set was donated by Edith Morrison Chase to the Museum in 1998.