William Flagg was the richest privateer in Dover after the War of 1812. Today, we might call him a legalized pirate. Commissioned by the fledgling and severely undermanned U.S. Navy, Captain Flagg used his own ship, the Fox, to capture and pillage British vessels along the U.S. coast during the war. This 1814 cannon is one of his “prizes”. Kept at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, it was moved upriver by gundalow to Dover wharves in 1856, then hauled to the top of Garrison Hill. A celebratory cannon firing that same year proved fatal to two gunners who attempted to light the ammunition. Flagg’s cannon was moved to the Museum in the 1960s.