One of Dover’s most informative historical maps was drawn by civil engineer Charles W. Hayes (1836—1915), Dartmouth graduate and Civil War veteran. This is the surveying tool Hayes used for three years, 1912—1915, to plot locations on Dover Point. The map, “Hilton’s Point and Dover Neck Village”, depicts Dover’s settlement period: 1623—1723. In great detail, it shows roads, houses (and their owners), ferries, cemeteries, meetinghouses, brickyards, shipyards, trees, and even the jail, stocks, and pillory. It was created with a great deal of input from Dover historian John Scales, who had commissioned the map for his book “History of Dover” (c.1923). For those interested, Hayes’s map of early Dover Point can be examined at the Museum.
Keefe carriage barn