The third structure of the four-building campus is the John Parker Hale House. Built in 1813 by John Williams — the “captain of industry” who started the Dover Cotton Factory in 1812, it became the home of famous abolitionist and U.S. Senator John Parker Hale in 1840. Acquired by the trustees in 1915 from Hale’s daughter Lucy, it now houses the museum’s varied historical collections, art, and period furniture.
Dunaway Hall The entire first floor houses dozens of glass cases which contain hundreds of items relating to the Dover area. Antique tools, engraved powder horns, pewter, china and glassware, early lanterns, antique toys, musical instruments, fire fighting equipment, streetcar memorabilia and a wonderful suit of Japanese medieval armor are just a few of the varied items on display.
Cocheco Manufacturing Printworks Return to a time when mill-workers earned 53 cents a day! Time charts, ledgers, fabric samples, old photographs and a Seth Thomas clock which was removed when the mills finally closed in 1940 are on display in a corner exhibit area.
The Clyde L. Whitehouse Alcove Beautifully worked scrimshaw, navigational equipment, and detailed ships models comprise the offerings here. There is even a working model of the old Mt. Washington Steamer on display.